I measure the Close Encounters groove and it extends 10" up from the plunger cutout and is a total of 1/8" deep at the plunger end, tapering to 0" at the upper end. As best I can tell the diameter of the groove is 1-1/16", remarkably (or not so much) the diameter of a standard pinball ball. Of course this is all based on a late 70's Gottlieb pinball, other manufactures may vary.
To the left is the template I devised clamped in place.

To the right is the router after cutting the groove showing the round nose bit I used. The bit is only 1" diameter, but I could not find a reasonably priced 1-1/16" bit and after doing a slight bit of touch up sanding this should work just fine.
Here is the bottom side of the template showing the two supports I put on to get the slope right. The one just to the right of center is 10" up from the bottom edge and 1/8" thick to set the slope. The one on the right was made to fit the space to match the slope and provide more support.
Closer view below.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.